08 Aug Etihad Airways Pet Travel Policy
Etihad Airways is the second flag carrier airline of the United Arab Emirates. Headquartered In Abu Dhabi, they commenced services in 2003, and now fly more than 1,000 weekly flights to 120 destinations, for both passengers and cargo. Here is everything you need to know about the Etihad Airways pet travel policy.
How to Book Your Pet on a Flight
You must submit a booking form at least seven days in advance, and email all required supporting documents no later than 72 hours before your flight.
If you’re flying to Abu Dhabi, you must also complete a UAE Health Certificate. This must be signed and stamped by a government-accredited health official in your country of departure within five days before your flight.
You must also apply for a release permit for your pet before your flight if Abu Dhabi is your final destination.
Remember, you must bring all original documents for your pet for verification at the airport. Your pet will not be permitted to fly otherwise.
Rules for Pets
You can pay to bring your cat or dog on board Etihad operated flights to and from Abu Dhabi. For all other destinations, please check with the relevant country authorities if your pet can be exported or imported in the cabin.
All other pets must be transported as manifested cargo with Etihad Cargo.
- Your ticket must be issued on Etihad ticket stock (i.e. ticket number starts with 607).
- If you are travelling in Economy, your pet will sit in their carrier under your seat, or you can purchase an adjacent seat for them to sit in their carrier next to you. The pet travel bag or kennel must not exceed 40 x 40 x 22cm (L x W x H) to fit under your seat or 50 x 43 x 50cm (L x W x H) if you have purchased an adjacent seat.
- If you are travelling in Business or First, you can purchase an adjacent seat for your pet to sit in their carrier next to you. The pet travel bag or kennel must not exceed 50 x 43 x 50cm (L x W x H).
- Your cat or dog must be at least 16 weeks old and weigh no more than 8kg including their carrier.
- Pets will not be accepted on flights operated by our partner airlines.
- You must be at least 18 years old to travel with a pet.
Travel Bag/Crate Requirements
The pet travel bag or kennel must not exceed 40x40x22cm (LxWxH) under your seat in Economy or 50x43x50cm (LxWxH) if you have purchased an adjacent seat in Economy, Business or First.
The total combined weight of the pet, travel bag, or kennel must not exceed 8kg.
- Your pet must stay in the travel bag or kennel for the entire flight
- Your pet must be able to sit, stand in a natural position with its head fully erect (without touching the roof), turn around and lie down
- The pet travel bag or kennel must be ventilated on at least three surfaces
- The pet travel bag or kennel must be escape-proof (rigid door for kennels / secure entrance for pet travel bag) and leak proof
- The floor must contain absorbent material
How Much Does It Cost?
- It costs $200 or 29,000 Etihad Guest Miles each way to travel with your cat or dog.
- If you are transiting, the combined price will apply.
- If you’d prefer to book an adjacent seat, our normal fares apply. Please make sure to book in advance.
If you’re travelling in Business or First, you must purchase an extra seat in advance for your pet.
Checklist for Travelling With Pets in the Cabin
Before you travel with an animal in the cabin, please make sure that:
- You have checked all entry and exit regulations for the countries you are flying to and from.
- All applicable veterinary examinations or treatments have been completed.
- You have asked your vet about any medication that may need to be administered to your pet during the journey.
- Have all the official documents required for your pet to travel.
- Your pet is familiar with the travel bag or kennel.
- You have a lead and a suitable harness or collar available.
- You have dry pet food in a sealed container in your cabin baggage
To help to keep your pet calm as they fly, we suggest placing a blanket, an old item of your clothing, or your pet’s favourite toy in the travel bag or kennel with them.
Country Specific Restrictions
Due to government-imposed restrictions, you will not be permitted to travel with your pet on board on the following routes:
Flying To or From:
- India (Ahmedabad and Trivandrum)
- South Africa
- The U.K. (London)
- The U.K. (Manchester)
- The U.S.A.
Dogs posing a danger such as the below are not permitted on our aircraft.
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed of dog
- American Pit Bull Terrier breed of dog
- American Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog
- American Bully
- Brazilian Mastiff (Fila Brasiliero)
- Argentinian Mastiff (Dogo Argentino)
- Any Mastiff or Hybrid
- Japanese Tosa or hybrid
- Japanese Tosa or hybrid
Arrival at Destination
If Abu Dhabi is your final destination, you must complete all arrival formalities according to UAE regulations. This includes an inspection by the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment (MOCCAE) veterinary officer. This will be performed in the Customs clearance area after you have cleared immigration and collected bags.
This does not apply if you are transferring directly to another destination and are not planning to leave Abu Dhabi airport.
For all other destinations, you must complete all arrival formalities according to local regulations. Inspection and clearance areas may vary from airport to airport. Check with the applicable authority at your destination for specific requirements.